Friday, September 12, 2008
Chocolate Steamed Puddings With Vanilla Custard
Most of puddings are made with agar-agar powder or gelatine. Sometimes you don't have it in your kitchen storage when it's needed. But not to worry without agar-agar or gelatine, we will still be able to make puddings. These chocolate steamed puddings are loved by children which can be served with custard. They are easy to make and don't take much time to prepare them.
75 gr chocolate
150 ml milk
150 gr sponge lady finger, crumbed
50 gr butter
50 gr caster sugar
2 eggs, separated
Vanilla essence or vanilla sugar
1. Grease small pudding moulds, put aside.
2. Put the chocolate into a saucepan with the milk and heat gently until melted. Stir to blend and then bring to boil. Pour over the cake crumbs and leave to stand for 25 minutes.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, put aside.
4. Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat until ligh and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks and then add the cake crumb mixture and vanilla essence/sugar.
5. Fold thewhisked egg whites into the mixture.
6. Divide between the moulds and place in the steamer. Cover with a piece of greased greaseproof paper and cook for 15-20 minutes or until set.
For the vanilla custard, usually I use ready to eat custard from the store. But you can also make it from the packages and follow the instructions mentioned. If you like your custard more fluid, you just add more milk when you are cooking it. But if you still want to make fresh vanilla custard yourself, you can use vanilla custard recipe as followed:
1/2 ltr milk
1 eatsp maizena powder
100 gr sugar
2 egg yolks, whisk with a bit milk
few drops rhum as needed
- Put the milk, sugar and maizena powder in a saucepan and heat gently until boiled.
- Put in egg yolks and stir to blend and then bring to boil.
- Remove from fire, put aside to cool down, then add the rhum in (if you like).