Personal Data

My photo
Belgium
I dedicate this blog to my loving husband, my two beautiful children, my dearest friends & family. Thank you for always loving me and enjoying my food. You are my inspirations for any new creations I make.

More Pictures

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Lintang Dewani. Make your own badge here.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Mango Chutney


Last week my friend Baz from England had posted his mom "Apple Tomatoes" chutney recipe. Because I like more manggo chutney, I asked him to pass the recipe too, and he did. How great!

I tried his recipe (I think he got it from his mom too...), and it went well. How happy I am now that I can make chutney myself instead of buying it which you know since economical problems everywhere, the price of goods are so expensive including the price of chutney.

He gave me two kinds of mango chutney recipes. Here are those two recipes:

Mango chutney #1

1.5kg (3lb) mango flesh, diced
500g (1lb) onions, chopped
750g (1½ lbs) sugar
500ml (1 pint) vinegar
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 scant teaspoon nutmeg
2 scant dessertspoons salt

MANGO CHUTNEY #2

1.5kg (3lb)mangoes, peeled and diced
2 large red chillis, de-seeded and chopped
60g (2oz) fresh ginger root, peeled and finely grated
juice and finely grated rind of 1 lemon
500ml (1 pint) white wine or cider vinegar
750g (1½ lbs) brown sugar
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon allspice powder
1 teaspoon turmeric (optional)

Method:
Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to the boil, stirring often. Cook for 1 hour or until mixture is thick. Bottle and seal.


The chutney I made was based on his mango chutney #1. But I adjusted the amounts of the ingredients because I only had 2 mango's at home. So this is what I put together in my manggo chutney:

My Mango Chutney

Ingredients:
2 mangoes, diced
1 onion, chopped
250 gr sugar
150 ml vinegar
1/3 teaspoon mixed spice
6 ground cloves
1/3 teaspoon curry powder
a pinch of nutmeg powder
1 teaspoon salt

Methods:
1. Use a blender to get fine diced of mangoes and onion.
2. Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to the boil, stirring often.
3. Cook for 1 hour or until mixture is thick. Bottle and seal.

No comments:

Labels

Followers