Jackfruit or known as Nangka has very special taste. Unripe or ripe jackfruit can be consumed in the dishes. The ripe jackfruit has very strong smell and is very sweet. We consume it as dessert or as fruit. The unripe one, we consume it in a dish. Because it's still raw, it has to be cooked quite long to make it tender. I love to eat jackfruit, a raw or ripe one, in a dish or as a dessert. Both ripe or unripe can be found at the asian grocery and packed in a can.
This recipe is to serve for approx. 10 people.
500 gr meat
250 gr unripe jackfruit, cut into small pieces, cook until tender
750 ml coconut milk
1 ltr water
1 tsp sugar
2 daun salam/bay leaves
1 cm lengkuas/galanga, bruised
4 red onions
1 tsps ketumbar/coriander powder
1/2 tsp white ground peper
1/4 tsp jinten/cumin
1 cm jahe/ginger
2 tsps salt
1 tsp sugar
1. Boil the water and meat until the meat tender. Remove from fire, cut the meat into small pieces. Measure the meat broth to the level 750 ml.
2. Heat the oil in the cooking pan, fry the paste ingredients until fragrant.
3. Add the jackfruit, meat broth and meat. Stir and leave it until boiled.
4. Add daun salam, lengkuas and sugar.
5. Pour the coconut milk, let it boiled again then remove from the fire.