For the frosting I use the Vanilla Cream Frosting that came along with the recipe.
I made 30 cucpakes with this recipe.
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Source: De Leukste Tarten
300 g fine sugar
200 g butter (room temperature)
280 gr flour
40 gr cornstarch
2 tbs (30 g) cocoa
1 tsp (5 g) sodium bicarbonate
240 ml buttermilk (room temperature)
11/2 tbs red liquid dye
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
1 tsp (5 ml) (apple) cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 180°c. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until combined. One at a time, add eggs; beat on medium speed after each. Bet in food coloring on low.
4. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to egg mixture; beat on low-medium after each just until combined. Stir together baking soda and vinegar. Add to batter; beat just until combined.
5. Fill cupcake liners two-thirds full. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Gently remove cupcakes from pans; cool.
6. Frost with anykind of cream frosting you like.
For the cream frosting I just made 1/2 of the recipe and enough to cover the entire cupcakes.Vanilla Cream Frosting
45 g flour
240 ml milk
200 gr unsalted butter
200 gr caster sugar
5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
1. Stir the flour and milk together in a saucepan. Let the mixture to boil for about 10-15 minutes. Keep stirring, then cover the with baking paper and let it cool down to room temperature.
2. Beat the butter until creamy and light. Slowly add the sugar and finally the vanilla.
3. Add the cooled milk mixture and keep beating for about 5 minutes on medium/high speed. Cover and keep for about 15 minutes in the refrigerator.